4 Step Closet Makeover:
The majority of people only wear 30% of what’s in their closet, so we made this simple, 4 step guide to help you declutter your closet & get a head start on your spring cleaning!
- Clean your closet.
- Make space on your bed and take everything out of your closet. This gives you a chance to give your closet a good deep cleaning.
- Vacuum, wipe down baseboards and shelves and wax the bars your clothes hang on. (Use wax paper – found in the grocery store – and rub on bars. Your hangers will slide with such ease! You don’t want to miss this step.)
- Make a donation pile.
- Go through each item on your bed and if you can’t say yes to at least one of the following questions DONATE IT!
– Have I worn this item in the last year?
– Would I buy it again today?
– Does the item have sentimental value?
- Don’t leave your donation pile available to pull from. Once you have made your donation pile box or bag your items and bring them to a local charity. You will feel better and not be tempted to take items back that you still NEVER wear.
- Go though your sentimental items and if possible put them in storage. Don’t use valuable closet space to store sentimental items.
3. Make a plan and stick to it.
- Separate clothes by type of clothing: Dresses, Rompers, Shirts, Skirts, etc.
- Decide what to hang and fold. You always wear more of what you can easily see, so try to hang as much as possible. Always try to hang trousers, skirts, shirts, suits, coats and jackets. It is much easier to fold knitwear, t-shirts, loungewear and denim.
- Using slim line nonslip hangers can save space AND you get twice the amount of room!
- Color coordinate all your items when hanging or folding. This will give your closet a beautiful polished look that will get you excited to get dressed in the morning.
- A good way to store out of season or sentimental items is to store them in a suitcase and place on a high out of the way shelf.
- When putting shoes away I always point the right toe out and left heel out. This gives you more room and makes it easier to decide what shoe to wear.
- Accept the space you have and take it as an opportunity to polish your style!
4 . Make sure you have these 10 wardrobe staples:
- A LBD
- Tailored Blazer
- Leather Jacket
- Classic White Blouse
- White V-Neck T-shirt
- Black Jean &/Or Trouser
- Dark Wash Skinny Jean
- White Skinny Jean
- Nude Heel &/or Flat
- Denim Top
Revisit your closet every season to keep it fresh and organized!
To enter to win a $100 shopping spree all you have to do is:
– Follow the 4 steps listed above.
– Post a picture with your closet makeover & use the hashtag: #sophieandtrey
– SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel (where we put out new videos weekly!)
Good luck and have fun cleaning!
Sophie and Trey